Owner Jeff Siegler said the silo had been filled to about 75-percent capacity with corn silage the previous night. He speculated that high winds Friday morning may have suppressed the fumes into the silo.
"I've been doing this for 35 years," said Siegler. "This never should have happened."
A firefighter noted that farm accidents often have tragic outcomes.
"A lot times the rescuer gets trapped too," he said. "At least that didn't happen in this case."
Lapeer County Sheriff's deputies, Imlay City Police, Imlay City Fire Department and Lapeer EMS responded to the scene.
Tom Wearing started at the Tri-City Times in 1989, covering the Village of Capac as a beat reporter. He later served stints as assistant editor and editor. Today, he covers Imlay City and Almont as a staff writer. He enjoys music and plays drums and sings with various musical groups in the Detroit Metropolitan area.