March 22 • 02:28 AM

Grants help rehab homes

Housing director to outline state guidelines at Imlay City meeting

November 11, 2009
IMLAY CITY — Qualified residents and rental property owners can soon apply for financial help to rehabilitate their properties.

County Housing Coordinator Mike Partlo will outline a pair of grant programs available through the Michigan State Housing Development Authority at the Tues., November 17 city commission meeting.

The city's targeted areas of eligibility include the following boundaries:

•First Street to the south;

•Sixth Street to the north;

•N. Cedar St./M-53 to the east;

•Handley Street to the west.

Partlo said those seeking grant money through MHSDA's "Neighborhood Preservation Program" must meet certain criteria; including being up to date on their house payments, property taxes and insurance; and providing a copy of their deed. The deadline to apply for a portion of the allotted $100,000 in grant money is Thurs., Nov. 19.

There are income eligibility guidelines for those applying for either the "single family homeowner rehabilitation" or "rental property rehabilitation" grants.

The maximum earning limit for an individual is $39,750 or 80 percent of the Area Median Income. Income limits rise incrementally per person, topping out at $65,900 for a family of six.

The annual income limit for renters is $29,820 (60 percent of the AMI) for an individual; sliding upwards on a per-person basis to $49,440 for a family of six. Partlo noted there is no income limit for landlords to qualify. Loans to landlords are forgivable over a five-year period, he added.

First Street is one of four boundary markers for rehab grant zone.
Partlo said qualified property owners can receive up to $15,000 per unit for repairs such as roofing, siding, windows, energy upgrades, ADA mandates, or to correct code violations.

Applicants are required to contribute 25 percent of the total project cost, though Partlo said low-interest loans are available to assist with that part of the process.

"There are ways we can help people who don't have that 25 percent," said Partlo. "We're trying to help the people who need it most. The need is greater right now. We've gotten more calls this year than any time in the past. We expect a good response in Imlay City."

Partlo said applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis by calling 810-245-4994.

"The voicemails will be taken in the order in which they are received," he said. "We expect to be able to assist anywhere from four to six individuals or families with the money that is available."

Partlo said he will be joined at the Nov. 17 meeting by Wendy Fall of the Lapeer County Human Development Commission, who has yet more good news for residents and property owners.

"The HDC is also offering grant money to residents living outside the MHSDA target area," said Partlo. "Their grant money covers the rest of the city."

Information about MHSDA rehabilitation grants for residents and landlords will also be available on the city's Web site at:

Castle Creek
03 - 22 - 19
Site Search

Thanks for visiting Tri City Times
Chemical Bank