Share
August 22 05:01 AM
Email/Username:
Password:

Kitchen fire flares up at Hickory Square Apt.


No one injured, firefighters rescue and revive injured cat



E_kitchen
shadow
Attica Asst. Chief Matt Dougherty attempts to revive cat with his own oxygen mask.
August 13, 2008
IMLAY CITY — Two tenants of Hickory Square Apartments have been temporarily displaced following a Friday afternoon fire.

According to Fire Chief Kip Reaves, a tenant in building 1882 Hickory Square Dr. left a pot of oil unattended which boiled over, resulting in a kitchen fire that spread to the utility and living rooms.

The resident managed to make it out of the building as it filled with thick black smoke and firefighters arrived.

"It was unknown if any other tenants were inside the building...firefighters went into 'search and rescue' mode and had to break down a few doors to gain entry," Reaves said.

shadow
shadow
No other tenants were found, but a male cat in the affected apartment was discovered and removed. Firefighters attempted to revive the cat using their own oxygen masks. The animal was eventually transported to a local veterinarian clinic and is alive but in poor condition.

"Firefighters extinguished the flames and contained the fire to a single apartment," Reaves said.

"American Red Cross provided housing to one of the displaced tenants and Hickory Square made a vacant apartment available to the other."

Damage was estimated at $30,000 for building and content damage.

Assisting on scene were the Attica and Almont fire departments, Imlay City Police, Lapeer County EMS and the American Red Cross.

Castle Creek
Van Dyke Gas
08 - 22 - 17
05:01
Site Search


August
arrow
S M T W T F S
12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031
IC DDA
Almont DDA
IC Chamber
Thanks for visiting Tri City Times