CAPAC — More than a hundred citizens turned out for an informational meeting last night (Tuesday, April 29) at Capac High School.
There, they learned more about Chief Raymond Hawks' condition, what's next for the alleged shooter Donald Burke and the response taken by police and the school district following the April 16 incident that left the village shaken.
The residents who rushed to Hawks' aid immediately after the shots were fired were also recognized publicly.
Prosecutor Mike Wendling said Burke will face a pre-trial hearing on Tuesday (May 6) and testimony will be taken from witnesses, although it appears Hawks will not be taking the stand. He remains in a medically-induced coma on a ventilator. Hawks' family thanked the community for their outpouring of support and prayers.
Burke's arraignment had been delayed as he underwent a triple-bypass surgery a few days after his arrest.
Superintendent Jerry Jennex asked those in attendance to reflect on what went right that fateful day.
"Let's share the positive of how a village responds to a challenging situation," he said.
Look for the complete story about the informational meeting and photos in the May 7 print edition of the Tri-City Times.