February 13, 2008 IMLAY CITY — Employees at Imlay City Ford got a rude surprise when they reported for work Thursday morning.
They discovered that the roof of the dealership's new car showroom had collapsed, resulting in the temporary closure of the business at 1788 S. Cedar St. (M-53). The used car showroom, located just north of the facility, was undamaged and remains operational.
Investigators said the damage occurred sometime after closing time Wednesday, but before 8:30 p.m. when a pair of Lapeer County Sheriff's deputies detected a strong odor of natural gas coming from the area of the dealership.
On further inspection, Deputy Mike Tappen and reserve Deputy Harold Kirsch found the building's roof had collapsed. Kirsch, an employee of Consumers Power, immediately shut off the gas supply to the building.
Imlay City Fire Chief Kip Reaves credited the deputies with having acted quickly, possibly averting an explosion.
For a complete report on the roof collapse and its impact on Imlay City Ford, pick up the Feb. 20 print edition of the Tri-City Times.