IMLAY CITY — A large contingent of members of Sacred Heart Catholic Church gathered at 1 p.m. on Good Friday (April 19) to observe the Stations of the Cross; also known as Way of Sorrows or the Via Crucis.
The large entourage was led by Fr. Noel Emmanuel Cornelio, who serves the clustered parishes of Sacred Heart and St. Nicholas in Capac.
Several men from the parish took turns carrying a large cross along a designated route that began at Sacred Heart, traveled east to Almont Avenue, turned north to the Imlay City library; and south again to the church.
The group stopped, sang, reflected and said prayers at each of the 14 locations, which individually represented one of the traditional Stations of the Cross.
Sacred Heart's pilgrimage provided the local faithful an opportunity to travel in procession from image to image.
The Stations of the Cross
(1) Jesus is condemned to death.
(2) Jesus carries His cross.
(3).Jesus falls for the first time.
(4).Jesus meets His mother, Mary.
(5) Simon helps Jesus carry the cross.
(6) Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
(7) Jesus falls for the second time.
(8) Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem.
(9) Jesus falls for the third time.
(10) Jesus is stripped of His clothes.
(11) Jesus is nailed to the cross.
(12) Jesus dies on the cross
(13) Jesus is taken down from the cross.
(14) Jesus is placed in the tomb.
Tom Wearing started at the Tri-City Times in 1989, covering the Village of Capac as a beat reporter. He later served stints as assistant editor and editor. Today, he covers Imlay City and Almont as a staff writer. He enjoys music and plays drums and sings with various musical groups in the Detroit Metropolitan area.